Sunday 6 December 2009

Led Queens Of The Nirvana

Josh Homme has emerged from his silence surrounding his new band, Them Crooked Vultures. It has been announced the band's lineup comprises Homme, John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl. It's a really promising lineup and the songs do sound great but supergroups always seem to be playing it safe, there's no rawness.

Fortunately, it doesn't stray too far from the Kyuss/QOTSA bluesy dirge. It's still great music, and you could hardly describe it as bad in any way, but but it's not exactly groundbreaking.

And if I'm honest, John Paul Jones sounds like a bit of a novelty, although his blues credentials do make sense in band with Homme. I also don't really see why this wasn't a new Queens Of The Stone Age record since Jones is the only discernible difference between the two bands, especially since both Grohl and Jones featured on 2002's 'Songs For The Deaf'.

But I think I'm probably being too much of a pessimist, at least I hope I am. In any case, it's still a promising lineup, they have worked well together in the past and it is good music - I'm just not sure that having such a lineup won't detract from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment