Monday 21 June 2010

Hecq - Sura

When breakcore producers started to put out dubstep records I can't deny I wasn't wary of the results. So when I heard people like Hecq and Matta coming from Ad Noiseam my fears were totally put to rest.

Incorporating a lot of the rave samples of old and new, Hecq bridges the gap between dub and breaks. Expect jarring time signatures, crushing metal rhythms and possibly the heaviest bassline of the year.

It's records like this that make me wish I could DJ. When I listened to 'Sura' it was like listening to that first Bong-Ra or Enduser track when I was 16 thinking: "What in the blue fuck is this?" - and I mean that in the best possible way. No, really.

The b-side 'Tiamat' starts off with an epic soundscape reminscient of those really dark industrial records that Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle used to put out in the late 70s and early 80s. You should only listen to this record through the best speaker system money can buy so you can really feel the bass oscillate and swirl 360 degrees round your head and the snares crash into the bass of your skull.

Stand out tracks: Sura
Download: Hecq - Tiamat

Title: Sura (adn128)
Artist: Hecq
Out now on Ad Noiseam.

No comments:

Post a Comment